Every year Thom Hogan make predictions for camera and lens innovation from camera manufacturers. Some of his predictions for year 2010 are correct ( link ). Yes ,some were wrong but Thom’s prediction has become some sort of a reliable reference of what camera or lens we will have in the future.
Ok, here’s some summary of Thom’s 2011 predictions ( by manufacturer )
- Nikon D800 will be announced by end of March 2011. Expected specifications are new FX Sony sensor, 24 MP, 5fps , HD video 1080p/30 and 720p/60 , 100% view coverage, and new batteries + grip.
- Nikon D400 on August 2011 or later. It will be built based on Nikon D7000 sensor with faster fps, GPS built-in, new EN-EL15 battery, and more hardcore pro body.
- Nikon D5100 on first quarter of 2011 using Nikon D3100 sensor and the megapixels will increase to 14Mp
- Nikon D4 will be announced by August 2011 with new Nikon 18mp sensor, new AF system, D7000’s metering system, video 1080p/60 , GPS built-in and support for USB 3.0
- Coolerpix / CP8000 , basically is a mirrorless camera with larger sensor. Should be ready on February or first quarter of the year
- Nikkor lenses : A 80-400mm f/4-5.6 replacement, with AF-S and a new optical design , A 70-200mm f/4 addition ( i would love to have this ), 50mm f/1.2 G , a long fast micro-nikkor lens , 24-105mm f/2.8 VR
- X100 , a large sensor compact camera with a 12Mp APS-C CMOS sensor, Fuji EXR processor and 23mm F2 Fujinon lens
- X200 ?
- A700 replacement with 24Mp APS sensor, pellicle mirror , built-in GPS
- Two more NEX cameras with at least three new NEX lens
- Canon 1Ds Mark IV with 32 Mp sensor
- Canon 5D mark III by end of 2011
- Canon T3i
- Canon EVIL ?
- Olympus EP-3 , different from EP-2 with more pro-body and controls
- Olymput E-PL2 , E-PL1 successor for low-end consumer
- a super telephoto zoom 70-300mm , a 50mm macro, an 8mm fisheye, and a 12mm wide angle lens in early 2011
- GF2 ( already announced and will be available by early next year )
- Panasonic GP-2
- new lenses: 14-45mm f/2.8 and a 45-100mm f/2.8
- at least two more S mount lenses, at least two more M mount lens revisions
- X2 , Leica X1’s successor with a 35mm f/2 lens
- 28mm wide angle lens
- 24-70mm APS module
- probably some mirrorless cameras
For more details , check Thom’s 2011 predictions here