Every year Thom Hogan make predictions for camera and lens innovation from camera manufacturers. Some of his predictions for year 2010 are correct ( link ). Yes ,some were wrong but Thom’s prediction has become some sort of a reliable reference of what camera or lens we will have in the future.
Ok, here’s some summary of Thom’s 2011 predictions ( by manufacturer )
- Nikon D800 will be announced by end of March 2011. Expected specifications are new FX Sony sensor, 24 MP, 5fps , HD video 1080p/30 and 720p/60 , 100% view coverage, and new batteries + grip.
- Nikon D400 on August 2011 or later. It will be built based on Nikon D7000 sensor with faster fps, GPS built-in, new EN-EL15 battery, and more hardcore pro body.
- Nikon D5100 on first quarter of 2011 using Nikon D3100 sensor and the megapixels will increase to 14Mp
- Nikon D4 will be announced by August 2011 with new Nikon 18mp sensor, new AF system, D7000′s metering system, video 1080p/60 , GPS built-in and support for USB 3.0
- Coolerpix / CP8000 , basically is a mirrorless camera with larger sensor. Should be ready on February or first quarter of the year
- Nikkor lenses : A 80-400mm f/4-5.6 replacement, with AF-S and a new optical design , A 70-200mm f/4 addition ( i would love to have this ), 50mm f/1.2 G , a long fast micro-nikkor lens , 24-105mm f/2.8 VR